E T Consultant - Senior Public Sector Specialist/ Senior Financial Management Specialist
Public Sector Development
|Term Duration: ||1 year 0 months|
10/12/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank consists of two entities – the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA). It is a global development cooperative owned by 189 member countries. As the largest development bank in the world, the World Bank provides loans, guarantees, risk management products, and advisory services to middle-income and creditworthy low-income countries, and coordinates responses to regional and global challenges. Visit www.worldbank.org.
Western and Central Africa (AFW) is a vast region with diverse cultures, beliefs, languages, and lifestyles. Stretching from the westernmost point of Africa, across the equator, and partly along the Atlantic Ocean till the Republic of Congo in the South, it encompasses 22 countries that spread across semi-arid areas in the Sahel, large coastal areas on the Atlantic Ocean and along the Gulf of Guinea and tropical forest covering many countries from Guinea to the Republic of Congo, through Côte d’Ivoire, Cameroon and Gabon. Read more: https://www.worldbank.org/en/region/afr/western-and-central-africa.
GOVERNANCE GLOBAL PRACTICE (GP) CONTEXT
Our GP helps developing countries build capable, efficient, open, inclusive and accountable institutions that can support economic growth, reduce poverty, deliver needed services and earn the confidence of citizens. Our work encompasses public financial management, public procurement, civil service reform, open government, anti-corruption, and using technology to improve quality and access to government services. More information: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/governance
You will be under the supervision of the GOV Practice Manager for the EAWG2 Unit and help lead the development/coordination of the Unit’s public sector/governance program for AWMSL.
DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
The World Bank is looking to recruit an experienced and highly motivated Extended Term Consultant (ETC) as Senior Public Sector/Financial Management Specialist to work on governance-related aspects of operations in Sierra Leone. The ETC will work with the Country Management Team and Task Team Leaders on a complex portfolio which is addressing several key reform agendas of the government, including decentralization, reform of state-owned enterprises, citizen engagement, and tax reform, among others. The ETC will be based in Freetown, Sierra Leone and will be under the supervision of the GOV Practice Manager for AFW. Specific activities for this role will include but not be restricted to the following:
- Lead preparation and implementation support for Sierra Leone analytical work and policies for policy-based lending.
- Lead the preparation of Sierra Leone country briefs on the Governance agenda.
- Provide implementation support for the Accountable Governance for Basic Service Delivery Project
- Lead inputs into Sierra Leone CPIA Public Sector Management and Institutions cluster
- Seek out potential areas for Bank intervention on governance related reforms such as GovTech or domestic resource mobilization (DRM), etc.
- Attend Donor coordination meetings on governance-related themes
- Contribute to the management of the Unit’s fiduciary program:
- Carry out FM assessments for new projects and FM supervision assessments for ongoing projects covering project budgeting, internal controls, accounting, treasury/funds flow, financial reporting, and auditing arrangements including adequacy and suitability of project FM staff.
- Monitor on-going compliance by projects with the Bank’s FM policies and procedures.
- Monitor borrower's compliance with financial covenants, including audit.
- Conduct internal control reviews and Statement of Expenditures (SOE) reviews, in conjunction with disbursement and procurement staff, to determine eligibility of expenditures for Bank financing.
- Review periodic Interim Financial Reports (IFR).
- Review annual audited financial statements, audit reports, and audit management letters and prepare appropriate letters for communication with the project implementing agencies.
The successful candidate will be a professional with solid operational experience on public sector/governance reform, preferably from other multilateral lending institutions. Specifically, the successful candidate will be selected based on the following competencies:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., public policy) with a minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience is required. Candidates with a CPA, CA, or equivalent membership of an internationally recognized professional accounting institute are at an advantage.
- Strong understanding of the overall dimensions and structures of the mechanics of government and its public administration, including decentralization, domestic resource mobilization (especially tax policy and administration), public financial management, and service delivery.
- Strong knowledge of the interface between public sector management and macroeconomic policies.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in strategic planning and project management.
- Expertise in at least one governance-related reform area, demonstrated through project specific experience or analytical work.
- Strong analytical capabilities, as well as strong planning, organization, and time management skills.
- Capacity to function effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary team, ability to search for common ground to resolve problems.
- Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results and has the personal organization to do so.
- Actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively, in writing and orally.
- Working Experience in Fragile and Conflict-Affected Countries is a plus.
- Fluency in English, both oral and written, is required.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.