E T Consultant - Senior Financial Management Specialist
|Term Duration: ||1 year 0 months|
10/12/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank
Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their
greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest
sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global
partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty,
increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189
member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and
private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data,
research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global
challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
We need the best and brightest talent focused on Sub-Saharan African countries in order to harness the potential and innovation happening across the continent. Africa is a continent on the move, with a young population and a growing market of nearly 1.2bn people. We are committed to making the Africa regional teams into leading innovation hubs. Yet, these vast opportunities are tempered by persistent gaps in education, health, and skills, which have Africa only reaching forty percent of its estimated potential. Moreover, conflict, food insecurity, population growth, and the disruptive forces of climate change threaten to curtail or even reverse the progress that has been made over the past decades.
In West and Central Africa, the World Bank is a leading partner with a growing portfolio of 387 projects totaling more than $44.1 billion in areas such as agriculture, trade and transport, energy, education, health, water and sanitation- all to support job creation, gender equality, poverty reduction, and better lives. Across the continent, the World Bank’s program has nearly doubled over the last 10 years. By 2030, about 87% of the world’s extreme poor are projected to live in Sub-Saharan Africa, so this is where our mission to end extreme poverty and to promote shared prosperity will be achieved.
Are you ready to make an impact? We are looking for dedicated professionals to join our innovative and diverse team to improve people’s lives and help countries build back better after COVID.
Western and Central Africa (AFW) Region: https://www.worldbank.org/en/region/afr/western-and-central-africa
The Governance Global Practice
More than half of the global population expresses distrust in government institutions. The Governance GP helps developing countries build capable, efficient, open, inclusive and accountable institutions that can support economic growth, reduce poverty, deliver needed services and earn the confidence of citizens. Our work encompasses public financial management, public procurement, civil service reform, open government, anti-corruption, and using technology to improve quality and access to government services. For more information: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/governance
Country Management Unit Context
The AWCF1 country management unit (CMU), covers five countries (Cabo Verde, The Gambia, Guinea Bissau, Mauritania and Senegal), and delivers Advisory Services and Analytics (ASA) and lending services to these countries. AWFC1 has an active portfolio of 57 operations and a pipeline of 21 operations. In Senegal, there are currently 21 active operations and 3 pipeline operations. There is a growing shift in the CMU towards result-based/PforR operations.
The World Bank is looking for an Extended term consultant (ETC) in Financial Management (FM) at Senior level to be based in Dakar, Senegal to support the work of the Governance Global Practice in Senegal. The ETC-FM will report to the Governance Practice Manager for strategic FM aspects and Senior Financial Management Specialist (FMS) and FM Coordinator for AWFC1 on a day to day basis. The ETC-FM will work from the World Bank Country Offices in Dakar with potential to travel to other countries, projects sites and institutions as required.
Governance Global Practice context
The Governance GP helps developing countries build capable, efficient, open, inclusive and accountable institutions that can support economic growth, reduce poverty, deliver needed services and earn the confidence of citizens. Its work encompasses public financial management, public procurement, civil service reform, open government, anti-corruption, and using technology to improve quality and access to government services. Financial management (FM) is an integral part of the development process: in the public sector, it ensures accountability and efficiency in the management of country resources, and in the private sector it promotes investment and growth. Financial Management is part of a core mandate of the Governance Global Practice. The Bank's FM work has dual objectives that are closely intertwined: (a) to support borrowing countries in improving their financial management performance and enhancing their capacity, and (b) to contribute to providing reasonable assurance on the use of Bank loan proceeds. More information: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/governance.
Duties and Responsibilities
The ETC will provide Financial Management support to the Equitable Growth Finance and Institutions (EFI), Global Governance Practice (EAEG1 unit) Financial Accountability and Reporting (FAR) team working on Senegal portifolio and other countries within the Country Management Unit (CMU).
The ETC, under the dual supervision of the Governance Practice Manager and Senior Financial Management Specialist, and as part of the FM team is expected to provide high-level technical support to the clients and Bank teams beyond the ordinary FM support. With overall guidance from the responsible portfolio FM Specialist, the ETC is expected to:
* Support financial management (FM) work for projects financed by the World Bank and provide advisory and technical assistance to internal and external clients. This will include, but is not limited to:
1. Assessing the adequacy of project financial management arrangements for new and ongoing projects.
2. Monitoring compliance with the Bank’s audit and fiduciary requirements.
3. Ensuring that WBG-financed operations are carried out in accordance with applicable FM policies, procedures, and instructions, and supporting analytical work on FM and public financial accountability. Manage the preparation and supervision of assigned tasks and deliverables and ensure effective delivery of programs requested by the Country Management Unit.
* Generate and exchange knowledge relating to governance issues.
* Contribute to the organization of seminars/workshops on governance/financial management issues.
* The candidate should both have a Masters’ degree in accounting, business, finance, economics, and or related subject and at least 8 years of relevant experience. A professional accountancy qualification (CPA, CA or equivalent) is mandatory.
In addition, the candidate should have the following qualifications:
* Knowledge of the application of accounting, auditing and financial reporting systems and software packages.
* Ability to review, analyze and evaluate financial statements and audit reports in diverse sectors and circumstances.
* Experience with internal control systems and procedures (including familiarity with COSO), with the ability to assess such systems and recommend remedial action where necessary
* Proven analytical and problem-solving skills and a proven ability to apply these in gathering, recording and summarizing financial and other operational data.
* Ability to work flexibly on a range of assignments, adjust to and prioritize a variety of complex evolving tasks and under pressure to meet deadlines.
* Effective interpersonal skills to work with colleagues, clients, and donor counterparts.
* Recognized as a results-oriented team player who is adaptable to changing business needs, takes initiative, can work independently, and can contribute to a diverse set of activities.
* Ability to communicate effectively, in writing and orally, in English.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.