Do you want to build a career that is full of meaning and impact? The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities where they are needed most. Visit www.ifc.org
The Infrastructure and Natural Resources Department is recruiting a Waste and Recycling Industry Specialist. The position will be based in Washington, DC. The position provides an opportunity for the candidate to obtain broad sector experience.
Infrastructure is one of IFC's strategic priorities. IFC's focus in the sector is on: (i) increasing access to basic infrastructure services; (ii) supporting local companies, while improving transparency and corporate governance; (iii) exploring new equity investment opportunities and catalyzing foreign direct investments, including co-investments and mobilizing syndicated and parallel loans; (iv) introducing and developing new financial products including through Public Private Partnerships; and (v) building long-term partnerships with strong regional players.
The Waste and Recycling Industry Specialist plays a key role in helping IFC to evaluate project investments plus advising on strategy. The successful candidate is expected to have rich strategic and operational experience, preferably in emerging markets, have sound business judgment, strong financial skills and be able to work in investment teams by providing expert opinion on the technical and operational aspects of investment proposals from across our global network. The selected candidate will be based in Washington DC and will work under the oversight of the Global Manager of Municipal and Environmental Infrastructure.
The position will have a global focus and requirement to undertake regular
lengthy travel commitments is expected.
As the demands and opportunities for IFC continue to grow rapidly in the infrastructure area, we are building a team of sectoral specialists who are strategic thinkers, with deep market knowledge and technical expertise in infrastructure sectors, and whose private sector experience demonstrates impact and a record of delivering results. The successful candidates will provide strategic guidance, support innovation of new business models for infrastructure service delivery, play a key role in investment appraisals, and develop the knowledge management tools to catalyze scale-up of IFC s global climate change business.
The specialist will be called upon to:
- Work together with the Sr. Industry Specialist for waste as well as Investment Officers in the global and regional infrastructure teams to build and supervise a portfolio of investments in the waste sector.
- Support the development and implementation of IFC’s strategy for the solid waste and recycling sector, including:
- Tracking market trends and regulatory frameworks.
- Interacting with a network of sector players including project developers, technology providers, experts and regulators.
- Identify emerging market opportunities and develop strategies to leverage IFC’s capacity to create market impact for IFC.
- Work closely with colleagues from other IFC practices as well as the World Bank to identify synergies and harness shared opportunities for waste management.
- Support IFC’s investment and advisory work in the solid waste and recycling sector, including:
- Identification and development of new upstream opportunities and transactions.
- To lead and/or provide assistance on advisory services work in the waste sector relating to upstream and capacity building activities across IFC’s Cities Business and related initiatives such as the Marine Plastics Initiative.
- Act as an in-house advisor to investment staff for appraisal and diligence of IFC investments.
- Review contracts, concession agreements, and other legal documentation and frameworks providing sectoral perspective and expertise.
- Liaise with IFC current and perspective clients, consultants, co-investors, technology providers, and EPC contractors.
- Support IFC’s portfolio of solid waste sector investments, including field inspection as necessary and assist in resolving operational weaknesses.
- Program and consultant management:
- Hire and supervise specialized engineers as necessary.
- Supervise consultants and consulting firms to conduct market studies, project analyses, and other support services, as required.
- Knowledge management and dissemination:
- Support the development of content for IFC’s knowledge platforms and develop mechanisms to disseminate the same within IFC and with external clients.
- Liaise with IFC regional counterparts to create knowledge tools that will help to catalyze new projects in the waste sector across IFC’s global portfolio.
- Evaluate the technical and commercial viability potential technologies.
- Identify and evaluate strategic partners, companies and technologies that provide solutions for solid waste management and recycling appropriate for emerging markets, with particular focus on solutions that mitigate GHG emissions and reduce plastic leakage into the environment.
- Innovate business models to enable IFC investment to support solid waste management and recycling; this might include models which leverage performance-based remuneration or risk-sharing or investment/advisory product offerings to support IFC clients.
- Carry out due diligence appraisals of potential IFC investments through review and evaluation of market, technology and contracts.
- Sound business judgment to identify the strengths and weaknesses of projects and company business plans, and to provide precise evaluation of technical, commercial, environmental and managerial issues.
- At least ten years of relevant experience covering a broad range of responsibilities in the waste sector including solid waste treatment, transport and disposal; recycling operations and technologies; and waste-to-energy technologies.
- Experience in emerging economies; willingness and ability to travel extensively internationally.
- Familiarity with the latest developments and technologies in the waste sector, including the value chains related to residential, commercial, municipal, industrial, hazardous and biomedical wastes.
- Contacts in the solid waste management industry.
- Understanding of construction, operations, BOT, and performance-based contracting.
- Ability to evaluate capital and operational cost parameters for different technologies.
- Knowledge of industry benchmarks and best practices for evaluation of operational efficiencies, including GHG quantification methodologies for solid waste management and recycling.
- Excellent communication skills in both oral and written English; additional languages skills (including, but not limited to, Mandarin, Spanish French) are an advantage.
- Advanced degree in engineering, business, environment, urban or related field.
has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences
and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds
from around the globe.