IFC — a member of the World Bank Group — is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2023, IFC committed a record US$43.7 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
IFC’s Public-Private Partnerships Transactions Advisory Services department provides sell-side financial advisory services to client governments with the purpose to increase access to basic infrastructure and social services by facilitating private investments in these sectors. Specifically, the team acts as Lead Transaction Advisor to governments to structure and implement public-private partnerships (PPP) transactions across all infrastructure sectors, e.g. power, water, transportation, and telecommunications, as well as social sectors such as health and education, with a particular focus on energy and transport, and for the following types of transactions:
• Public-Private Partnerships e.g. BOT type concessions
• Management and lease contracts
• Restructuring and privatization of state-owned enterprises
The department is looking to recruit an Investment Analyst (IA) to work with the PPP team in the Middle East and Central Asia (MCT) region. The IA will be based in Astana, Kazakhstan reporting to the Regional Manager and Head for PPP Transaction Advisory Services in MCT. The IA will be involved in the development and implementation of various PPP projects across the MCT region, in several infrastructure sectors as described above.
Roles & Responsibility
The selected candidate will be expected to perform as a core team member under the supervision of a senior member of the team and will assist the project team leaders in the origination and execution of IFC’s advisory mandates in PPPs and privatizations across the MCT region.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
Proactively contribute to business development activities in assigned countries, including:
• Participate in origination and marketing activities, e.g. undertake project scoping to assess feasibility of potential projects, preparation of pitchbooks and proposals and support with IFC internal governance processes;
• Prepare notes and documentation for internal approval processes and procurement of consultants;
• Participate in meetings with government ministries and departments and sub-national public entities to discuss and assess their needs and ideas to improve access to infrastructure and delivery of public services and to identify potential PPP projects for IFC transaction advisory assistance;
• Understand World Bank program for assigned countries and work with them to engage with government counterparts to implement a coordinated strategy.
Assist in the day-to-day management of project execution to contribute to the structuring of innovative PPP projects and to the development of recommendations to clients, including:
• Assist in due diligence management, data collection, review of legal, commercial and technical outputs, project structure design, and drafting of project contractual documentation;
• Prepare complex financial models and perform financial analysis;
• Assist in managing project marketing to potential investors, completing roadshows, preparing marketing documents (teaser, information memorandum), conducting prequalification and tendering (including negotiation of project agreements with bidders) up to award and commercial/financial close.
• Assist in coordinating closely with other parts of IFC including environmental and social, legal, other advisory and investment departments as well as World Bank colleagues;
• Contribute to the day-to-day work of the CAT hub and MCT department, including (prepare corporate notes or presentations for internal or external audiences.