E T Consultant
External Affairs & Corporate Relations
|Term Duration: ||1 year 0 months|
Washington, DC,United States
8/17/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
External and Corporate Relations Vice-Presidency (ECR)
The mission of External and Corporate Relations (ECR) is to help deliver financial and political support for the World Bank Group, strengthen the Bank Group’s role as a global thought leader in development by enhancing and safeguarding its reputation, and supporting operational teams to achieve country outcomes. ECR manages corporate communications and global engagement with key stakeholders, including media, civil society, foundations, private sector, donor countries, and international organizations, as well as employee engagement. ECR also manages strategic communications for the World Bank’s Regions and Global Practices and leads the management of reputation risk
ECR-Infrastructure (ECRIN) provides strategic communication guidance to the Infrastructure Practice Group (GGI) which is charged with developing sustainable solutions to help close infrastructure gaps in developing and emerging economies. The Infrastructure Practice Group includes Digital Development; Energy & Extractives; Infrastructure Finance, PPPs & Guarantees; and Transport.
Transport Global Knowledge Unit (ITRGK)
The Transport Global Practice seeks to connect people, goods and services to jobs, schools, hospitals, local, regional, and international markets, using faster, cheaper, safer and more efficient solutions, while keeping traffic fatalities, congestion, greenhouse gas emissions, and local air pollution in check. It responds to the needs of developing countries and transition economies for modern and reliable transport solutions.
Within the Infrastructure Practice Group Vice-Presidency, the Transport Global Knowledge Unit (ITRGK) is responsible for the strategic leadership of the knowledge program across the transport global practice and providing cross-support to the regional operational units through several Global Leads, and Global Solutions Groups (GSG), shaping the agenda around critical areas such as green transport, development corridors and regional integration, and urban mobility. ITRGK manages partnerships programs such as the Global Facility for Decarbonizing Transport (GFDT) and the Global Road Safety Facility (GRSF, Mobility and Logistic (MOLO), and Sum4All.
ECRIN is seeking to hire an External Affairs Officer under an Extended Term Consultant (ETC) appointment to be based at the World Bank headquarters in Washington D.C. to deliver the communication work of ITRGK. The selected candidate will provide strategic communication advice and manage broader ECRIN support to the Transport Global Practice, across various communications business lines, specifically but not limited to the Global Facility for Decarbonizing Transport (GFDT) and the Global Road Safety Facility (GRSF). On the day-to-day basis, he/she will report to the External Affairs Lead for Transport and the Program Managers of GFDT and GRSF.
The selected candidate would be responsible for executing the communications strategy for two trust funds – GFDT and GRSF. This includes writing impact stories, managing online communications, planning events, designing communication materials, and developing strong messages for fundraising efforts.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Lead the development and implementation of the Communication and Visibility plan for GRSF 2.0
- Update and implement the GFDT Communication and Visibility Plan
Content Creation and Multimedia
- Develop content and materials that support the GRSF and GFDT fundraising strategy
- Identify, write, and produce impact stories supporting the work of GRSF and GFDT
- Develop a content strategy for GFDT including regular blog posts and articles
- Draft the GRSF and GFDT annual reports
- Develop social media content to share that supports both initiatives
- Work with vendors (or independently) to create video content that supports both initiatives
- Design documents, brochures, and PowerPoint presentations for both initiatives
- Develop and manage a master external distribution list for ITRGK communications
- Create a newsletter for GFDT and send it on a regular basis
- Prepare the GRSF newsletter on a quarterly basis
- Identify and work with a vendor to revamp the GRSF website to align it with the new business plan of GRSF 2.0
- Update and maintain the GFDT website
- Develop a “Transport Decarbonizer of the Year” award concept and help implement it
- Develop a “discussion series” for GFDT
- Work with GRSF head to plan and execute online events
- Disseminate the events with transport networks to increase participation and to make materials available after the fact
- Collaborate with Senior External Affairs Officer around major global events – such as COP27 – and other events, such as Transforming Transportation, and World Bank Spring and Annual Meetings as necessary.
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, international relations/public affairs, political science, economics or related field, plus relevant practical experience.
- Fluent in English (native or near native speaker); excellent written communications capabilities, especially editing messages in a clear, concise, and web-friendly style.
- At least 5 years’ experience working in non-profit communications
- Experience in producing multimedia content such as social postcards, slideshows, GIFs, and short videos.
- Experience in fundraising for non-profit entities would be a plus.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks within tight deadlines.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and detailed oriented
- Experience working in or studying sectors related to transport, road safety and climate change.
- Past WBG Trust Fund experience would be a plus.
- Experience with WBG website management would be a plus.
- Understanding of the World Bank Group, its policies, and operations.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.