Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA) is a member of the World Bank Group, and our mission is to promote foreign direct investment into developing countries to help end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. We do that through the provision of political risk insurance and credit enhancement to investors and lenders against losses caused by noncommercial risks. For more information, visit www.miga.org.
The Legal Affairs and Claims Group in MIGA (known as “MIGLC”) serves as the legal counsel for MIGA, and provides legal advice relating to the governance, operations, and other activities of the Agency. Among its principal responsibilities, MIGLC advises MIGA’s Council of Governors, Board of Directors and senior management. MIGLC takes the lead in negotiating and drafting contracts of guarantee, handles all claims proceedings, facilitates discussions between investors and governments related to disputes and potential claims. In addition, we provide support to all other internal departments on a variety of matters.
The Counsel’s duties and responsibilities will include:
• Providing legal advice regarding guarantee operations, including transaction structures and eligibility under MIGA’s governing documents and other policies;
• As member of a project team, conducting legal due diligence, negotiating and drafting legal documents;
• Coordinating the process of acquiring required host country approvals for guarantees to be issued;
• Reviewing and managing disputes between investors and host countries that may constitute or develop into claims;
• Researching and drafting memoranda in connection with institutional, policy and administrative issues, including privileges and immunities, environmental and social standards, membership matters, WBG establishment agreements, sanctions and integrity procedures, information technology, intellectual property, personnel matters, governance questions; and on issues of national and international law;
• Carrying out other duties assigned by the General Counsel or a Chief Counsel.
• Juris Doctor, LLB, or equivalent law degree; qualification to practice law in at least one jurisdiction.
• At least 5 years of relevant legal experience since earning law degree, preferably in a law firm, international financial institution or corporation with international business or finance operations.
• Relevant experience includes project finance and/or working in transactions involving cross-border lending or investment in developing countries; asset or corporate finance; complex corporate and financial transactions; political risk, export credit or investment insurance.
• Strong analytical skills. Ability to assess legal issues in an objective, practical and responsible manner and provide well-reasoned, independent and transparent advice.
• Demonstrate a history of having been able to (a) respond to multiple challenging demands from internal and external clients under time pressure and (b) meet changing business needs.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, sound judgment and high ethical standards. Ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy within the WBG and with government officials.
• Strong organizational, research, and oral presentation skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. French and Spanish are desirable.
• Understanding of the WBG mission and development agenda.
• Willingness to travel.
• References and a writing sample may be required as part of the selection process.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.