Are you a passionate advocate for education? Do you want to make a difference in the lives of children in the world’s poorest countries? The Global Partnership for Education Secretariat (GPE) would like to hear from you!
Who we are
GPE is a shared commitment to ending the world’s learning crisis. It is the only global partnership and fund dedicated entirely to helping children in lower-income countries get a quality education, so they can unlock their potential and contribute to building a better world.
What we do
GPE convenes partners and mobilizes funds to help governments in 76 lower-income countries build and finance strong and sustainable education systems that deliver quality learning to children marginalized by poverty, gender, disability, or displacement. GPE focuses on driving transformation to get the most vulnerable children in school, improve teaching and learning, and build resilient education systems capable of withstanding shocks and adapting to new challenges. GPE’s approach achieves lasting impact by convening partners behind country leadership. We support government efforts to advance teaching and learning for the 21st century, mobilize more and better financing, and scale up proven solutions for the world’s poorest and hardest-to-reach children.
GPE's new strategy and operating model, GPE 2025 is grounded in a “system transformation” approach and seeks to support and sustain education reforms with the potential for impact at scale.
With about 150 full-time staff, the GPE secretariat is hosted by the World Bank and has headquarters in Washington D.C and Paris plus an office in Brussels. The selected candidate will be based in the Washington, DC office. This is a local recruitment subject to compensation on the local pay scale for the selected duty station, and limited benefits may apply as per World Bank Group policy.
Job duties and responsibilities:
The successful candidate will join the “Corporate Services” sub-team of the Secretariat Operations team. This sub-team’s mission is to oversee and improve the efficient management of many of the organization’s internal administrative and planning processes. This position will deliver support to GPE staff and managers for transactions, standard processes, and requests for support. This position will specialize in non-HR processes, including functions such as procurement, office space and facilities, security, travel, translation, budgeting, consultant support, policy compliance, risk, personal and common equipment administration, and others. A member of the Secretariat Operations team, the selected candidate is expected to work closely with others on the team and across the organization to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of internal operations. This new position reports to the Corporate Services Team Lead, which is also a new position.
Specific accountabilities of this new role include the following:
• Respond to support non-HR requests from staff and management.
• Research any relevant policies or procedures to ensure accurate responses.
• Work directly with staff and managers who need hands-on support rather than just written guidance.
• Update the status of requests and their final resolution in any system that is established
• Identify situations where current policies and procedures do not adequately or accurately address the needs and requests received; document guidance to address these situations.
• Raise any issues to management which might require an exception or decision
• Provide analytical support for the annual work planning and budgeting process, and the related quarterly reporting process.
• Coordinate the inventory of laptops allocated to staff.
• Support the Secretariat’s objective of documenting its internal operations by serving as coordinator for the current set of standard operating procedures and support any efforts to update selected procedures as well as an upgrade to the function overall.
• Contribute to projects lead by the SecOps team, as time permits.
• At least 2 years of experience supporting corporate services / administrative. functions. A master's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
• Experience with administrative functions including office space, facilities, security, IT equipment, contract management, vendor procurement, etc.
• Advanced skills across the Microsoft Office 365 suite of products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint Online. Excel expertise is especially critical for the support of the budgeting process.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Works independently.
• Organized and manages time effectively.
• Commitment to teamwork and collaboration, both within the sub team as well as across the Secretariat.
• Persistence and resilience in the face of challenges.
• Problem solving skills.
• Knowledge creation and knowledge sharing, ensuring we learn from our experiences.
ETC appointments include medical benefits, paid holidays, and comprehensive leave policy (24 days/annum).
GPE has a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment.
Individuals with disabilities may be provided reasonable accommodations to perform essential functions of the role and support in receiving other workplace accommodations. Please contact the DAF-Disability Accommodation Fund at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and support.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.