IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2020, we invested $22 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
CGR is a unique research team that is in charge of generating deep understanding of country and market dynamics to identify strategic implications for IFC business and IFC investment clients. It caters strategic and proprietary research to IFC Senior Management, IFC’s VP for Economics and Private Sector Development, IFC Investment Departments and existing or potential Investment Clients of IFC. It combines in-house expertise in macroeconomics, portfolio, financial markets analysis, policy and regulatory matters. The team leverages IFC operational and industry knowledge and WBG sector expertise to provide a comprehensive view of global and country-specific industry trends and investment opportunities. The team’s various research offerings support the corporation’s thought leadership and fundamental research.
More specifically, the team provides (1) global, regional and country outlooks on macro-economics and markets drivers and trends that inform business and portfolio decisions, (2) country-risk ratings based on macroeconomic, financial and political developments, (3) strategic asset allocation framework and recommendations, (4) in-house developed models such as the Medium Term Vulnerability Model and FX Models, (5) tools that support investment staff, such as pricing tools, equity valuation tools, and M&A tools for sourcing and valuing IFC investments and (6) applied fundamental research, including long-term growth potential and projections for private investment and foreign direct investment.
Role and Responsibilities:
• Coordinate the production and review of in-depth applied macroeconomic analysis across the Department. Mentor junior staff in developing solid applied macroeconomic analysis skills (country analysis, assess vulnerabilities and potential) to bolster their operating capabilities at a higher level independently.
• Provide inputs in selected strategic corporate projects, including bespoke analytical studies, focused on extending the depth and reach of the Department’s analysis, advice and collaboration with IMF country teams and within the global financial and policymaking communities
• Build, in close cooperation with CGR senior staff, debt and capital flows monitoring delivering to highlight countries with unsustainable debt loads and ongoing capital market access. Help develop country and regional scenario analysis, feeding on CGR’s global views, highlighting operations which countries may be at risk of inflicting significant damage to IFC’s bottom line should more adverse scenarios occur. Work with other colleagues, especially via capital flows monitoring, on analyzing and reporting on global economic and financial developments relevant for the development of emerging and developing markets
• Help develop and improve cross-country financial system analysis to help assess vulnerabilities, resilience, and opportunities. In parallel, develop fiscal and monetary policy space tools to complement the financial system analysis.
• Contribute to the development of the unit’s analytical tools linking macroeconomic developments to the performance of markets and industries at the regional and global level to identify sectors opportunities and risks for IFC’s investment operations
• Conduct research, analysis, and report writing, helping to identify potential areas of growth for IFC. Research topics will evolve to meet IFC’s industry department and corporate needs.
• Help create and guide the efficient updating of existing/new statistical databases as well as helping colleagues preparing reports, presentations, media talking points, and other materials
• Actively engage with the team in identifying topics for further analysis, research ideas, and new ways to present concepts
• Represent CGR at all levels of the organization and engage with staff across departments
• Contribute to the high-level analysis of top exposure countries and the unit’s country risk responsibilities