IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2020, we invested $22 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
Private sector financial development is essential to the promotion of successful and sustainable economies in low- and middle-income countries around the world. Sound and efficient financial markets can ensure that resources are allocated where they are most productive, assisting job creation and spurring economic growth. IFC's goal is to prioritize investment in the financial sector because it promotes development in all other sectors.
The Financial Institutions Group (“FIG”) is one of three major industry groups at the IFC, responsible for managing roughly 40% of IFC's overall business in terms of volume and capital at risk. FIG engages in a wide range of subsectors including Microfinance, SME, Gender, Climate, Insurance, Capital Markets, Housing, Distressed Assets, and other areas, with both investment and advisory services delivered globally to IFC's clients through IFC's global network.
The FIG team are recruiting an Investment Analyst who will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Duties and Accountabilities:
Investment Analysts work closely with IFC’s Investment Officers, who are responsible for the design, negotiation, structuring and subsequent supervision of the Corporation’s investment projects. Investment Analysts help appraise new investments and assist investment officers in monitoring and servicing existing portfolio clients. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Monitoring IFC investments in portfolio companies comprising various types of financial entities.
- Participating in investment appraisals and negotiations; creating financial models to support the investment analysis.
- Conducting industry research and associated analysis to inform strategy as well as portfolio and new business decisions.
- Reviewing company information and preparing internal reports based on periodic financial statements, project progress reports, and other information submitted by clients.
- Establishing and maintaining productive relationships to ensure responsive end effective service to portfolio clients.
- Producing internal analytical reports on portfolio risk, impact and performance.
- Liaising with colleagues across departments and geographies to ensure effective collaboration among IFC staff.
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree with specialization in finance.
- At least 2 years of experience in finance, banking, portfolio management or consulting.
- Experience in a major financial institution (1+ years) with a proven track record desirable.
- Good knowledge of financial markets in the Africa region.
- Strong financial analysis and modelling skills using Microsoft excel and ability to identify key issues.
- Sound numerical, analytical and conceptual skills encompassing finance and the associated areas of investment, portfolio management and corporate finance and economics.
- Commitment to economic development and keen interest in development finance in emerging markets.
- Ability to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries.
- Demonstrated teamwork skills.
- Strong client service orientation with an openness to feedback and new ideas.
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to present ideas clearly and confidently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; good knowledge of Amharic a plus.
has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences
and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds
from around the globe.