IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2020, we invested $22 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
The Operations Officer ESG Advisory is a project management and coordination function primarily responsible for implementing ESG Advisory projects in specific countries, with specific focus on delivery of project-level results and development outcomes. The role reports to the Regional Lead ESG Advisory Services (RLAS) and entails three complementary but distinct accountabilities:
• Running straightforward ESG Advisory Projects, including upstream projects, in alignment with overall regional advisory strategy, to ensure outputs are delivered, and outcomes and impacts are achieved within set time frames and budget.
• Managing procurement of STCs and overseeing their work that support delivery of relevant country advisory projects.
• Supporting, or leading ESG Regional Knowledge Management initiatives, in collaboration with global Advisory, Knowledge and Learning team and regional communications colleagues.
Duties and accountabilities:
Managing straightforward ESG Advisory Projects, including upstream projects
• Lead delivery of straightforward ESG advisory projects and upstream engagements, in coordination with Senior Operations Officers, E&S specialists, country officers, ensuring highest levels of product quality and client service. Provide solutions to ESG issues and proactively help clients and partners improve standards and practices in the target sector/country.
• Lead discussions with clients, regulators, and other key partners for the successful implementation of assigned ESG advisory projects.
• With guidance and limited supervision, work to build relations with government and regulators to improve ESG standards, investor protection, and support the development of ESG regulatory frameworks.
• Support the development of the capacity of key intermediaries (institutes, associations, consulting firms, etc.) through organizing and supporting the delivery of Training of Trainers, workshops, and other capacity building activities.
• Deliver and support awareness raising activities, including events, conferences, ESG forums, as well as developing and supporting the preparation and dissemination of ESG publications.
• Negotiate and draft project services agreements and cooperation agreements with key partners for the successful implementation of ESG advisory projects assigned.
• Identify and anticipate financial project needs, develop detailed project budgets (including in IBIS), manage and report on financial performance according to plans. Conduct integrity due diligence and validate with risk officers.
• Monitor development results and collecting relevant evidence to substantiate project results using standard tools and platforms, including the Advisory Services Operational Platform, Partner Capacity Building Tool, and the Client Impact Measurement Tool.
• Understand and apply Advisory Project Governance procedures issued by Advisory Portfolio Management (CBARS) and quality enhancement guidance from CEG Global Advisory Coordination unit and Independent Evaluation Group (IEG) evaluation criteria.
• Develop project documents (Concept Notes, Implementation Plans, Project Supervision Reports, Project Completion Reports), and conduct client engagement (including ESG components of projects led by other units), ensuring that assigned projects achieve objectives within deadline and budget.
• Draft proposals to donor partners to raise necessary funding and prepare and validate content of progress reports.
• Prepare straightforward communication materials such as press releases, fact sheets, PowerPoint presentations on ESG issues and assigned projects.
• Collect and validate feedback for successful delivery of advisory, including from industry and country management, monitoring and evaluation, legal, finance, risk, and communication staff, development partners, World Bank, and other partners in the country.
• As needed, contribute to the development of country strategies and sector briefs, in close coordination with the RLAS.
Managing Procurement of STCs and Overseeing their work
• Manage procurement of STCs to deliver on ESG advisory projects key deliverables, following WBG Procurement Rules.
• Draft terms of reference for STCs.
• Oversee the work of STCs, ensuring the highest levels of product quality and consistency.
Supporting Regional Knowledge Management Activities
• Collect and consolidate lessons learned from project implementation experiences and share with RLAS.
• Contribute to ESG knowledge initiatives led by global Advisory, Knowledge and Learning team and ensure connectivity with IFC colleagues in the Region.
• Collaborate with ESG global Advisory, Knowledge and Learning team and regional communications colleagues to ensure ESG advisory projects results are showcased both internally and externally.