Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The World Bank’s Infrastructure Vice Presidency (INF VPU) is keen to increase recruitment of highly-qualified, early and mid-career African and African Diaspora (A&AD) staff for careers in transport, energy, digital development, infrastructure finance and infrastructure economics. To this end, the INF VPU has created two branded recruitment programs: (i) the A&AD Infrastructure Fellows Program; and (ii) the A&AD Infrastructure Mid-Career Professionals program. The present recruitment process is carried out under the A&AD Infrastructure Fellows program.
The Infrastructure Practice Group is in charge of developing sustainable solutions to help close infrastructure gaps in developing and emerging economies. This is done by scaling up investments in critical infrastructure sectors, leveraging innovations that drive impact and promoting integration across sectors and regions at a scale that encourages the participation of the private sector. Our infrastructure interventions make a difference to outcomes in human capital, economic inclusion and climate change, and promote stability in fragile and conflict affected states. There is a strong emphasis on private sector resource mobilization and catalyzing financing from commercial and other sources of development and climate finance.
The South Asia Infrastructure Department (ISADR) includes Energy and Transport, and works closely with Extractives, Digital Development, and Infrastructure Finance, Public Private Partnerships and Guarantees.
ISADR seeks an Operations Analyst to provide analytical and operational support to the Front Office. The selected candidate will join the small core team at the office of the Regional Director (RD) for Infrastructure in South Asia Region (ISADR) and work under the overall guidance of the RD and the Operations Adviser (OA) on a range of activities including:
• Independently undertake or contribute to work program monitoring for ISADR (pipeline, portfolio, ASA, trust funds, corporate commitments) including: weekly status updates; bi-monthly preparation of the SAR INF Workbook; bi-annual portfolio review meetings; and other ad-hoc requests for work program data.
• Prepare for and participate actively in SAR INF Operations Services Team. Coordinate information requests, and oversee implementation of agreed follow up actions.
• Support special quality reviews of the pipeline and portfolio, for example on ISRs, results frameworks, etc.
• Engage with the South Asia Development Effectiveness unit, the Operations Helpdesk, and the ITS Helpdesk to resolve any Operations Portal or systems issues.
• Carry out research and provide inputs to internal and external briefs, presentations, talking points, blogs, mid-year and end-year reviews.
• Support other FO activities as needed (ex. organizing team retreats/meetings/townhalls, preparing agendas and minutes of meetings, etc.)
Do you meet the following selection criteria? If so, we encourage you to apply:
• Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in relevant field (economics, development studies, public administration, social sciences).
• Minimum of two years of relevant work experience in operations, portfolio monitoring, and/or project implementation.
Other specific skills include:
• Good research and analytical skills and demonstrated knowledge of Bank reporting systems (Standard Reports, BI, AO, etc.) and advanced knowledge of Excel. Experience and knowledge of trust fund systems (MyTF, TFT, CoF) advantageous.
• Knowledge of World Bank strategies, policies, processes, procedures, and systems, is a plus.
• Demonstrated strong analytical research and organizational skills, ability to see the big picture as well as attention to detail and ability to prioritize work among multiple competing demands and tight deadlines.
• High degree of initiative, problem-solving skills, flexibility and ability to work independently.
• Strong inter-personal skills; experience working effectively in large and multi-disciplinary teams of specialists; with the capacity to interact in a multi-cultural environment.
• Excellent communications skills, specifically in writing briefs, reports and preparing power point presentations.
• Capacity to work simultaneously on a variety of issues and tasks, independently adjusting to priorities.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills in English, including the ability to write short reports and briefing notes.
The WBG Core Competencies: https://bit.ly/2kbIA7O.
COS Generic Competencies: https://tinyurl.com/y34lnxvu
1)African and African Diaspora candidates are
citizens of Sub-Saharan African countries or those who hold the citizenship of
other countries but trace their ancestry to Sub-Saharan Africa, such as
African-Americans, Afro-Latin-Americans, and others.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.
has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences
and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds
from around the globe.