IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2020, we invested $22 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
The development of a vibrant private sector is central to promoting economic growth and expanding opportunities for the poor. Sound and efficient markets can ensure that resources are allocated where they are most productive, assisting job creation and spurring economic growth.
IFC’s Creating Markets Advisory (CMA) Unit delivers on IFC’s capital increase commitments by providing a foundation for Regional, Industry and Upstream teams to increase private sector investment opportunities. CMA addresses “if-then” reform asks in IFC strategies, complementing World Bank efforts, while strengthening IFC's relationships with client countries in support of IFC 3.0. Specifically, the CMA team works proactively with governments and regulatory agencies to create effective and efficient market conditions, both at economy wide as well as industry/sector level, for increased private investments. Our global experience shows that challenges in the business environment and lack of the right enabling regulatory framework results in countries losing significant amounts of investment annually. The unit collaborates extensively with the public sector, private sector and other teams across the World Bank Group in the design and delivery of advisory services.
Role & Responsibilities:
In this role, the selected candidate will play a key role in contributing to CMA’s various offerings and tools, primarily in the countries of the Eastern Europe. He/she will work closely with the broader CMA as they interface with IFC Upstream, Advisory and Investments staff in the region, as well as World Bank staff, to design and ensure implementation of reforms that address bottlenecks faced by investors in IFC’s priority sectors, using a variety of WBG tools and offerings. He/she will play a role executing strategic initiatives to enhance the CMA practice across the ECA Region contribute to new project design in line with the WBG/IFC country strategy, and deliver high quality Advisory engagements to the Government and private sector in client countries. He/she will work closely with key stakeholders, the broader CMA team in concert with the IFC Country Manager, in supporting the WBG/IFC country strategy and delivering high quality Advisory engagements.
The selected candidate will report directly to the Manager, Advisory Services MENA.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The selected candidate will be responsible for supporting a range of activities related to financial sector Advisory Services and in particular the Ukraine financial reform and inclusion program. The candidate will support the respective TTLs in maintaining managerial and financial oversight, day-to-day delivery of advisory services to clients, monitoring impact targets and timelines, collaboration with the WBG financial sector program, financial and operational reporting to IFC and donors, and overall quality control of the Program. He/she will do this in close collaboration with the global product specialists.
General Program Management including accountability for program objectives and targets:
a. Develop detailed project plans for the program’s various components
b. Manage external and internal relationships for successful delivery
e. Support the TTLs in showcasing the program to stakeholders at multiple levels including with program donors, clients, government officials, etc.
Communications and Reporting:
- Manage the communications and reporting required by IFC and donor partners according to IFC standards and guidelines;
- Track project performance indicators against the monitoring and evaluation plan, refocusing activities as required to meet project targets in coordination with other IFC stakeholders including the global product specialists
Budget and Financial Management:
- Manage and report on financial performance according to plan:
- Ensure that project spending is in line with projected budget.
- Develop budget projections to support financial planning.
- Systematically consolidate and analyze lessons learned from project implementation experience and share with team members and colleagues across the region;
- Ensure connectivity with the global team and other IFC/World Bank programs.
Client and Stakeholder Management:
- Develop and manage client relationship and ensure their continued buy in for project implementation.
- Participate in client meetings to facilitate project implementation, understand client needs and monitor progress.
- Engage with the relevant teams at the World Bank and IFC for reforms needed to unlock new markets and work collaboratively with Upstream teams.
Design and Operationalize Solutions:
- Improve the design and delivery of client solutions by incorporating global good practices and lessons from past. Partner with results team in developing appropriate theories of change and results frameworks and indicators to strengthen the development impact and sustainability of client solutions and continuously learn from client projects/ engagements.
- Ensure high quality of project supervision and completion documents and provide quality control over client deliverables. Moreover, support client in implementing recommendations and help trouble shoot as needed.
- Provide cross support to select programs/solutions in other countries in the ECA Region and possibly other regions as needed.
- Create and Share Knowledge and Build Capacity:
- Support peer to peer knowledge exchange sessions across the region
- Identify and participate in conferences to showcase IFC offerings and value proposition, which includes serving as panelist/ moderator for internal and external events related to thematic area.
- Help build a bench strength of experts and consultants in the thematic areas of leadership across the region.
- Oversee/ supervise assigned consultants; and ensure quality control of work products and outputs
- Develop technical capabilities of the assigned staff and members of the broader practice group team through mentoring, coaching, structured training program and by providing on-the-job learning opportunities.
- Determine resources needed to support projects and ensure efficient/ effective use of resources and manage project budget to ensure efficient use of resources.